Position: Fieldworker/Entomology Technician -10 posts
Reports to: Research Officer
Work station: Rufiji and Kibiti
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for experienced Fieldworkers /Entomology Technicians to work in the Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Interventions in Africa (BOHEMIA) project. Among other duties, the Fieldworkers will be required to conduct mosquito trapping and collections, larval collections from field during evaluation of impact of repeated ivermectin MDA on vector populations and their transmission activities in Rufiji and Kibiti Districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct laboratory, semi-field and field experiments as required by the assistant entomologists.
- Conduct field trapping of mosquitoes from selected clusters as required by the assistant entomologist.
- Ensure all data and samples collected from semi-field experiments and from field are properly kept in the storage tubes and boxes as well as labelled.
- Maintain all field equipment and consumables during mosquito trapping and collections as well as laboratory equipment and consumables in good order.
- Maintain continuous good relationship with community members in the study area to ensure smooth running of project activities in the villages.
- Conduct all activities associated with mosquito rearing and maintenance in the insectary and semi-field conditions for project experiments.
- Ensure mosquitoes from field and insectary (reference strains) are adequate for project experiments when required.
- Routinely attending weekly meetings as set by the supervisors.
- Conduct any other tasks assigned by the Senior Entomologist or Assistant Entomologist.
Qualification and Experience
- Form IV or Form VI on science subjects preferably Chemistry and Biology; holder of certificates or diploma in related field like medical laboratory, environmental science, vector control, medical entomology will be an added advantage
- Previous Experience of at least 2 years, preferably working with EHES or any other entomology department, on field entomological surveys, mosquito handling and rearing, mosquito taxonomy, mosquito dissection, laboratory, field and semi-field entomological bioassays will be a significant importance.
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of mosquito collection techniques, mosquito identification, and entomological experiments in the laboratory, semi-field and field environments.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and follow entomological protocols, guidelines and SOPs.
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in research team.
- Ability to achieve set goals.
- Good oral communications in English and Swahili.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative.)
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters through e- mail/ recruitment portal together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application heading should include: FIELDWORKER – BOHEMIA. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview
The deadline for submitting the application is 19 March 2021