Program Specialists 3 (Training and Materials Development Specialist)
RTI International is the prime implementor of the USAID Jifunze Uelewe activity focused on sustainably improving literacy and numeracy outcomes of “all learners” from pre-primary through Standard 4 in five regions of Tanzania. For the purpose of this program, “all learners” includes, but is not limited to, marginalized and vulnerable girls and boys, learners with disabilities, minority and linguistic minority groups, urban and rural learners, learners affected by crisis or conflict, and those living in poverty.
Training and Materials Development Specialist is responsible under the leadership of Literacy, Numeracy and SEL lead, he/she will provide technical support for teaching and learning materials reviews and/development for pre-primary and grades 1, 2, 3 and 4. S/he will work closely with result areas technical leads to ensure that training/teacher support materials including manuals, training notes, self-learning handouts, and virtual professional development content are developed in accordance with project needs and specifications. S/he will collaborate with School and Community Inclusive Education lead to ensure that inclusion and Social Emotional learning are infused in all training/teacher support materials.
The Training and Materials Development Specialist will be based in Dar es Salaam and will report to the Literacy, Numeracy and SEL Lead.
- Support the development of training, planning and materials to ensure direct linkage with curriculum as well as the appropriate use of instructional materials.
- Contribute to reviewing of existing training and teacher support materials to ensure they address prevailing instructional needs.
- Contribute to content development for various monitoring and classroom assessments to be used during the program implantation.
- Contribute to capacity building to contracted teacher training colleges in support of effective district, cluster and school-based trainings.
- In coordination with literacy, numeracy and SEL lead; support regional teaching and learning specialists’ work of capacity building to district and regional counterparts.
- Coordinate with result leads and respective implementing partners to ensure that inclusion, gender and social emotional learning is incorporated in all training and teacher support materials.
- Coordinate the development, review and recording of virtual training scripts to accompany Self-learning handouts to be used by teachers.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reports, presentations to USAID, Ministries and development partners.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in education, curriculum development or related field
- At least 8 years of relevant field experience in education development, with specific experience in pre-primary and primary level reading programs, teacher training and instructional materials/curriculum development and literacy improvement
- Experience in meaningful collaboration with government education counterparts at national and subnational levels.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in team.
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Fluency in English and Swahili
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at HRethics@rti.org. Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the HRethics@rti.org email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.