Senior Scientific Officer – Natural Resource Management
IITA-TZ-2021 – R4D-002 -NRS/ICRISAT-Dodoma
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi – Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) invites applications for the position of Senior Scientific Officer – Natural Resource Management.
Background: ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition, and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and several country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. For more details, see www.icrisat.org. AICCRA is a 3-year World Bank-funded project with ICRISAT leading the Senegal node and participating in project activities in Zambia and Kenya. ICRISAT envisions increasing access for agriculture research and extension service providers in Africa to knowledge, technologies, and decision-making tools relevant to enhancing the resilience of agriculture and food systems in the face of climate change. The project aims to implement the sub-regional component of AICCRA through building multi-actor partnerships of existing scientific and educational networks and centers to achieve outcomes by engaging with individual partners at the country level. Specifically, this project will enhance the capacity of national regional public institutions and private firms (e.g., input providers, ICT companies, media) to develop delivery models for climate services and CSA knowledge, approaches, and tools to support effective intra-regional and south-south adoption in various value chains.
Duty Station: The position will be based in Dodoma with regular travel regionally or to Dar es Salaam
- MSC degree in agriculture or related field with at least 8 to 10 years experience in national and international organizations.
- Proven expertise in implementing field programs related to research in development.
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Fluency in English and Swahili, written and oral
- Demonstrated ability of handling multi-tasked project activities
- Willingness and physical ability to handle frequent travel to remote field sites
- Prepare clear, accurate and concise reports, records and other materials
- Ability to operate a computer using word processing, database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to collect, evaluate and interpret varied information and data
- Provide skilled technical inputs into the planning, implementation and monitoring of demand driven agronomic and agroecological practices at on-farm study sites.
- Handle and assist the project manager in timely delivery and monitoring of field implementation and complying with reporting deadlines with partner institutes.
- Assist in organizing, facilitating meetings especially with local communities and handle the necessary logistics of training, seminars and workshops and visits of the supervisory team.
- Manage relationships with partners ensuring that field interventions are co-designed with stakeholders and interactions with communities and project partners are fair and transparent.
- Manage fund requests and disbursements of project activities, funds/grants and provide all necessary supporting documents for accounting and reporting purposes.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to project manager as well as any other project internal and external team member in the project implementation course.
The duration of contract for the position is one year with possible extension. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 17 February, 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.