To evaluate counter-party credit risks associated with wholesale banking lending at the client interface, with the primary objective to contain credit risk within acceptable parameters.
- Provision of direct (specialist/ professional) credit evaluation services at the customer interface and apprise client application timely within short Turn Around time.
- Identify credit and risk management requirements at the source of the deal negotiation/ business proposal.
- Conduct credit evaluation interviews during deal negotiation to obtain sufficient and appropriate information to evaluate business risk and deal viability, from a credit risk perspective.
- Decline non-viable deals at source, however, works in partnership with Head, Wholesale Client Origination, Relationship Managers and clients to identify alternatives that could bring deals/ proposals within risk acceptable parameters relative to profitability.
- Support other teams in department to develop high quality credit solutions to customers and recommend appropriate facilities in line with risk evaluation with the view of obtaining fast credit approval from credit decision maker.
- Present and defend own judgement and credit evaluations to clients in a manner which does not negatively affect the business relationship.
- Present and defend credit proposals to CREDCO& BCC to seek for their support.
Business Acumen and Market Understanding:
- Identify, quantify and evaluate sources of risk in relation to profitability of business proposal and financial viability of the corporation as a whole; interrogates information obtained to gain a thorough understanding of business parameters which create profit/ value as well as the associated risks.
- Utilize industry risk analysis available to identify and understand contextual threats to existing and potential clients.
- Evaluate whether proposals meet sound business criteria and counter-party credit risk falls within acceptable parameters, and recommends appropriate business credit facilities, including terms or conditions of facilities.
- Prepare credit applications providing sound financial and business justification for deals/ proposals within acceptable risk parameters relative to the profitability.
Client Profitability and Risk Management:
- Proactively and timely processing credit applications for existing facilities ensuring consistent, thorough and timely submission within agreed bank Turn Around Time.
- Detect and evaluate shifts or changes in key parameters in a business relationship or industry and evaluates the implications of such changes on continued business dealings.
- Analyze information received from client and the client’s performance. Establish reasons for risk exposure in excess of credit facilities; evaluate these in relation to business risk parameters.
- Monitor utilization in excess or arrears of credit facilities and assists Relationship Managers in managing the risk exposure.
- Review the correctness of data and information obtained including financials & ROE calculations before sending to Credit.
- Full compliance to legal and regulatory requirements and internal limits.
Relationship Building & Service Delivery:
- Propose appropriate financials and non-financial covenants at the facility origination and monitor covenants post credit facility disbursement.
- Monitor and control quality of portfolio using ‘Condition of Sanction’ triggers where possible. Discussing with sanctioners deteriorating trends and trigger events if they give cause for concern and advising the Relationship Managers simultaneously.
- Plan and Implement annual credit reviews for the portfolio.
- Monitor daily referrals to ensure that clients facilities are managed within the parameters set by credit, exercising discretion regarding account conduct based on a close knowledge and understanding of client activities.
Leadership & Stakeholder Management:
- Coach the relationship managers and the origination team in all aspects of daily work and ensure that the team communication is open and ongoing.
- Ensure that the bank is up to date with the client’s existing business, possible opportunities and risks, personal and business needs and preferences.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the key areas in Wholesale Banking.
- Understanding of key financial indicators and usage of financial analysis to evaluate strategic options and opportunities.
- Strong credit skills.
- Strong ability to influence, build and /or initiate effective relationships and credibility with others (colleagues, stakeholders and customers).
- Ability to identify, clarify/define and work through challenges towards a defined outcome
- Reflect high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to think in terms of integrated solutions; logical, rational and shows sound judgement.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing with the ability to listen actively and with interest and interrogate and interpret information effectively.
- Ability to effectively and strategically influence across the organization.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Commerce, Accounting or Finance.
- Relevant qualifications including ACCA/CPA and postgraduate qualifications such as an MBA is considered a bonus.
- At least 6 years’ experience in Banking and/or Financial Services, 5 years being in Credit origination or evaluation.
- Experience in leading team(s).
NMB Bank Plc is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 14 working days of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
“NMB Bank Plc does not charge any fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it”.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 April 2021