Program Officer – Girls Education Program
The Program Officer is a key technical team member who supports the successful implementation of Room to Read’s Girls’ Education Program (GEP) in Bagamoyo and Kibaha Districts. The Program Officer will primarily be responsible for managing the implementation of GEP’s Life Skills Clubs program, which focuses on increasing girls’ financial literacy knowledge and skills. This position also provides technical support for other GEP components and activities, including contributing to overall program development and contextualization of global program materials, as well as guiding program implementation, training, monitoring & evaluation, program data collection and entry, general planning, and project reporting. Regular interaction is required with other Room to Read staff, education officials, partners, school administrators, teachers, parents and students. This position reports to the Girls’ Education Program Manager, and supervises all Life Skills Clubs Facilitators in both Bagamoyo and Kibaha.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organize and oversee the complete process of setting up Room to Read Life Skills Clubs for Girls Education Program (GEP) in Bagamoyo and Kibaha Districts Collaborate with other Room to Read Tanzania GEP staff to design and contextualize Life Skills Clubs Curriculum.
- Identify, engage and assess schools which implement Room to Read’s Girls’ Education Program and formulate strategies for Life Skills Clubs implementation
- Schedule and conduct regular meetings with key stakeholders to monitor the girls’ progress in LS clubs and address issues as they arise.
- Train and supervise GEP School focal teachers/other teachers and Life Skills Clubs Facilitators to ensure that they are able to support the girls and complete their roles effectively.
- Visit project schools as needed to supervise clubs activities at the sites and organize discussions with school key stakeholders and Gather feedback to ensure that schools and communities understand and support clubs activities in their districts.
- Complete detailed and accurate written reports in a timely manner to GEP Program Manager and Country Office as required.
- Participate in any other activities, which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Collaborate with fellow GEP Program Officers to manage relationships with other NGOs, government officials and local educational facilities/authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them to coordinate planning and implementation of projects.
- Develop and facilitate capacity building trainings for Life Skills Club Facilitators, School focal teachers and Social Mobilizers (SMs), NGOs, Partners representatives, team members, girls, parents and the community at large as may be required.
- Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings.
- Provide regular updates on program activities and plans at regular meetings with Tanzania Country Office management staff Document best practices and lessons learned during field work and share with other project sites, relevant local staff, the Country Director and appropriate Regional and US based Global Program Officers
- Collect data and conduct data entry into the system as required
- Participate in developing Quarter and Annual report on timely basis
- Develop and submit Monthly/Quarterly Cash forecast on timely basis
- On monthly basis, develop Field staff fund request and submit expense reports on their behalf
- Support GEP Program Manager on development/ review of new content modules – contextualization as needed
- University degree in a related field (Sociology, education, gender, social work, community development).
- 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Prior experience in planning and facilitating trainings.
- Prior experience coaching or supervising others.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Prior experience working with and or counseling adolescent girls. Familiarity with life skills and/or financial literacy skills is preferable.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, including the ability to monitor progress of program implementation.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Desire and ability to spend a quarter or more time traveling and providing direct support to Life Skills Club Facilitators and Focal Teachers in the schools and communities in which they work.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Fluency in the local language.
- English fluency.
Location: Kibaha, Pwani
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include thirteenth month bonus, health insurance and a retirement plan. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries on literacy and gender equality in education.
Location(s): Tanzania – Kibaha
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled