Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector in managing their environment and natural resources. We have delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors including: countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
The goal of the recently awarded Tuhifadhi Maliasili activity is to address dynamics that hinder habitat connectivity and the long-term persistence of biodiversity in Tanzania. This activity will incorporate a series of interventions that support and strengthen government and civil society capacity for biodiversity conservation in a manner that: i) increases private sector engagement in conservation and natural resource management (NRM); ii) builds the capacity of the public sector and civil society; and iii) strengthens the policy and regulatory framework for conservation and NRM. These interventions together will reduce threats to biodiversity in Tanzania while moving Tanzanian institutions further on their journey to self-reliance.
The HR Manager will be responsible for implementation of HR Strategies, effective delivery of HR services and management; interpretation and application of HR policies; rules and regulations; facilitation of internal procedures and process solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Manager promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale. They will support the formulation of solid HR strategies and implement Project human resources initiatives to attract, develop, motivate and retain the most suitable talent throughout the projects and facilitate successful performance management.
- Review, disseminate, ensure full compliance of HR policy guidelines and country employee handbooks in tandem with local labor laws, client rules and regulations, RTI policies, values, ethics, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework and proper functioning of the HR policy framework.
- Provide advice and information on RTI HR Policy adjustments changes in local labor law and regulations, implementation of employee handbook, strategic use of contractual modalities, application of entitlements, change management processes.
- Disseminate HR communication, priorities, and allocated tasks; and ensure strict adherence to procedures in the area of selection and recruitment of temporary and longer-term staff.
- Organization of recruitment processes through the provision of input to short-listing process, screening of candidates, setting up and participation in interview panels including documentation processing for offers and deployment.
- In liaison with local country insurance brokers and RTI Regional Office track Private Medical Insurance (PMI) expiry dates and follow up on renewals.
- Maintain HR (including non-personnel) files; Track and compile the project leave schedules, setting up all staff absence by receiving and filing PTO authorizations, performing the functions of absence monitoring and recording; Advise staff on their leave entitlements.
- Coordinate with Kenya Regional Office for the preparation of contracts of local national (LN) and other changes pertaining term of employment through timely preparation and submission of Personnel Action Forms or Offer Request Memos.
- Conduct preliminary Job Grading for HR and COP review and approval, determines eligibility for salaries, entitlements, and benefits according to approved matrix, FSN and confirmed country benefits while applying Staff Regulations, Rules, and other official provisions with consistency.
- Implement RTI Performance Management system – Dynamic Development in the project, including but not limited to working with staff on goal-setting, documentation in the system, and regular Check-Ins. Facilitating learning initiatives, recommending courses that are beneficial to the project and in accordance RTI University courses and individual learning plans.
- Orientation and induction focal person; Provides information to staff members on their employment conditions and entitlements, including on-entry briefings, facilitate CCN orientation and file orientation reports as espoused in the project on orientation and induction.
- Ensure personnel files and database are well updated accurately maintained. Maintain RTI’s projects manual and excel based personnel database and supporting use of its information by project staff for planning and administration purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education And Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6 years of experience in human resources management and/or Master’s degree and 3 years of experience in human resources management, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience managing HR functions on donor-funded projects preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal/relationship building skills
- Knowledge of the local labor law in Tanzania.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong influencing and coaching skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and within matrix project and program teams.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
- Demonstrated commitment to RTI’s mission, vision and values.
- Experience on USAID or other donor-funded programs a plus.
Due to the urgency of project need, applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The shortlist of candidates may be finalized prior to the closing application deadline. Therefore, candidates are urged to apply as soon as possible. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates may apply directly on RTI’s careers site or submit an updated CV and cover letter to TM_recruitment@rti.org Please reference the position title in subject line.