Position: Research Officer (1 post)
Reports To: Project leader
Work Station: Kibiti/Rufiji
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Ifakara is looking for a qualified and experienced Research Officer to join the big cluster randomized clinical trial of Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Interventions in Africa (BOHEMIA). The research officer will assist the Research Scientist (health economics) and required to perform weekly planning of work duties including prioritisation of duties, communication of plans to the PI and the rest of the team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support project activities at IHI.
- Revise and translate tools for data collection in Kiswahili and English.
- Prepare a schedule for data collection in the study facilities.
- Collect data on costs, resource utilisation and related data from other sources in Tanzania.
- Clean and enter cost data into the data collection template/excel.
- Support data collection, walk-throughs and other data collection methods.
- Support analyses and writing of reports.
- Participation in team meetings and team activities.
- Weekly planning of work duties including prioritisation of duties, communication of plans to the PI and the rest of the team, ensure the plan is followed and tasks completed.
- Early identification of issues preventing the completion of expected tasks, independent solving of the issues where possible, and timely communication if issues cannot be solved independently.
- Keep accurate records of all meetings attended and research activities conducted – for example meeting minutes and activity log-book.
- Regular and effective communication to the PI and rest of the team.Undertake any other tasks that the research scientist and PI shall reasonably require from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of science in Health Economics or equivalent.
- With at least 1 year of working experience in related field.
Skills and Competencies
- Must possess good writing skills.
- Good interpersonal skills Leadership skills and team work.
- Sensitivity to the economic, cultural and political issues that affect research activities in the context of Tanzania.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and yet maintain team work.
- Fluent in both Kiswahili and English languages.
- Able to respond to deadlines.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday, the 25th of June, 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Research Officer- Economist. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 June 2021.